Authored by: Allan Zieser, STLE, CLS
Today’s modern cooling systems are made from aluminum. This allows for a lighter cooling system as well as better heat transfer. These modern cooling systems are assembled using a form of brazing called CAB. This process allows for the smallest most efficient seams allowable, also increasing the efficiency of the cooling system. The one drawback with these systems is the fact that some coolant additives will react and possibly corrode the metals in them. To prevent this, Chevron has created Chevron Delo XLC Antifreeze/Coolant. This modern coolant protects today’s modern aluminum systems by preventing pitting and degradation.
Delo XLC Antifreeze/Coolant is a heavy-duty, ethylene glycol-based engine coolant which incorporates patented organic corrosion inhibitor technology called aliphatic carboxylates. The Delo XLC formula is free of nitrite, nitrate, borate, phosphate, silicate, and amines. It provides maximum protection of the six basic metal alloys found in most heat transfer systems. Delo XLC products do not contain phosphates or silicates which are known to contribute to hard water scale issues. Delo XLC promotes maximum water pump seal life by eliminating inorganic corrosion inhibitors. Delo XLC has a recommended service life of 1,000,000 miles / 1,600,000 km / 15,000 hours or 8 years. This product will not require the addition of supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) to achieve its recommended service life.
Routine visual inspections, coolant top-off, and annual laboratory testing are recommended to ensure maximum service life.
Note: These products are not to be used to protect the inside of potable water systems against freezing.
Recommended uses include:
- Heavy-duty engines regardless of fuel type or environmental controls being used where the OEM recommends a nitrite free, silicate free coolant
- Mixed fleets where automobiles, light-duty trucks, and heavy-duty trucks are being serviced and the OEM recommends a nitrite free, silicate free product
- Recreational vehicles where a nitrite free, silicate free product is recommended
- On-road, off-road, and marine cooling system applications.
Delo® XLC Antifreeze/Coolant is approved for:
- Cummins CES 14439
- Detroit Diesel DFS93K217ELC
- Deutz DQC CB-14
- Komatsu KES 07.892
- MAN 324 Type SNF
- MB-Approval 325.3 (Concentrate)
- MB-Approval 326.3 (Premixed 50/50)
Delo XLC Antifreeze/Coolant meets the specifications of:
- ASTM D3306
- ASTM D6210
- DAF 74002
- MTU MTL 5048
- TMC RP 364
Delo XLC Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended for use in:
- GE - Jenbacher Stationary Natural Gas Engines
- Hino Truck Diesel Engines
- Isuzu Truck Diesel Engines
- Kobelco Construction Equipment Diesel Engines
- MTU 2000/4000 Diesel Engines
- Navistar™ MAXXFORCE Engines
- Scania Truck Diesel Engines
- Volvo Construction Equipment (VCE) Diesel Engines
- Volvo and Mack Truck Diesel Engines
- Wärtsilä Stationary Diesel Engines
- Vestas Wind Turbine Power Electronics External Coolant System
- European HD OEMs that require both Phosphate-free and nitrite-free formulations
- Japanese HD OEMs that require silicate-free formulations
As you can see, Chevron Delo XLC Antifreeze / Coolant is a versatile extended life product designed to provide protection for your modern aluminum cooling systems. Call your Ottsen Oil Expert for more information on the coolant that is right for your equipment!